- 8 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 1/4 cups all white whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 14 tablespoons (1 3/4 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup amaretto liqueur
- 1 cup freshly brewed strong coffee
Whisk flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in medium bowl to blend. Using electric mixer, beat butter and 1 cup sugar in large bowl until fluffy and pale yellow, about 2 minutes. Add egg yolks 1 at a time, beating until well blended after each addition. Beat in liqueur and coffee. Beat flour mixture into liquid mixture in 2 additions just until incorporated.
Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350°F. Butter and flour three 9-inch-diameter pie plates. Line each pie dish with parchment paper.
Using clean dry beaters, beat egg whites and remaining 3 tablespoons sugar in another medium bowl until stiff . Fold egg whites into cake batter. Divide batter between prepared pie dish and smooth tops.
Bake for 30 minutes or until tester inserted into centers comes out clean.
My new assistant. Very helpful.
- 1 jar dark Morello cherries in light syrup
- 2 envelopes Knox@ Gelatine, unflavored
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
Drain cherries and set aside. Bring light syrup to boil. Sprinkle gelatin over cold cream. Let stand 1 minute. Add hot syrup and stir until gelatin completely dissolves. Let cool and add cherries. Let sit at room temperature for 1-2 hours. Filling should be spreadable not firm.
Spread each layer of the cake with cherry mixture. Refrigerate for 8 hours.